PE & Sport Premium
What is the Primary PE & Sports Premium?
In March 2013 the Government announced additional funding of £150 million per year to improve the provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools in England - The Primary PE & Sport Premium.
This funding, provided jointly by the Department for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, is allocated to primary school Head Teachers. The funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
On 6th February 2014 the Prime Minister, committed to continue the funding for the Primary PE & Sport Premium until 2020.
Purpose of Funding
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
All pupils leaving primary school physically literate and with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.
To achieve self-sustaining improvement in the quality of PE and sport in primary schools, we would expect indicators of such improvement to include:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity, kick-starting healthy active lifestyles.
- The profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement.
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport.
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils.
- Increased participation in competitive sport.
See below for how this money has and will be spent at St. Joseph’s.